My favourite go to lunch at the moment. Roasting the squash and carrot makes them extra sweet. Easy to make and can be made in bulk and frozen for an easy meal when you dont feel like chopping.
- I Butternut squash
- 2 Medium Carrots
- 1 tsp. Dried Basil
- 1 tsp. Dried Thyme
- 1 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 tsp. Paprika
- 1 tsp. Dried Cumin
- 1 Tin Coconut Milk
- 500ml Vegetable Bouillon/Stock
- Plain Yoghurt and Parsley to Garnish
- Preheat oven to 180°
- Skin and chop up butternut squash into bite sized chunks.
- Place into a large saucepan, cover with basil, thyme and 1tsp. olive oil and give the pan a good shake to cover squash and carrots with herbs.
- Line a large backing tray with greaseproof paper. Evenly spread out squash and carrots onto greaseproof (Place pan to the side for later.) Roast squash and carrots for 40 minutes, don’t let them burn.
- Whilst roasting dice onions and garlic.
- Remove squash and carrots from oven and place on the side.
- In original pan heat up remaining oil, add onion and garlic and fry for 2 minutes. Then add paprika and cumin and heat for a further 1-2 minutes.
- Add the roasted squash and carrots and coat with onion and spices. Add coconut milk and bouillon and cook for a further 5 minutes.
- Transfer mix to a blender (depending on size of blender may need a few goes) and blend until smooth.
- Transfer blended soup back to pan and simmer on a low heat for 10 minutes.
Serve with a spoonful of plain yoghurt drizzled on top and a sprig of parsley.
For an added protein boost serve with oat cakes or toasted sour dough bread and houmous.
This soup can be frozen and reheated for an easy tasty lunch.